Friday, April 2, 2010

Yellow Flags, Wood Frogs, Remembering, and More

Ok, so if last year was the "Year of Exposure" (I'm talking about my work here, guys), then this is the "Year of Remembering What's Important". I completely over did it these last 16 months or so... and I forgot, temporarily, that life was meant to be savored, not gulped down...

So, with that in mind... I have started to wander out to the forest pond and just sit... and listen... smell... feel...

Of course, it helps that Mud Season has arrived ridiculously early, and plants like the Yellow Flag (above) are already coming up.

Yesterday, my son and I strolled down to the pond and just sat. And I was overcome by the heady smell of pine sap, the gentle splashing of Wood Frogs, the heat of the sun on my skin, the soft caress of a mild breeze... need I say more?

Then again, this spring might be called "The Spring When Mosquitoes Arrived Before the Blackflies"... Good thing the Wood Frogs are out in sufficient numbers to nab those little buggers...


That's enough Nirvana for one post...

Hey, let's look at some wacky architecture!
I think I've linked to some of the images that are on this site before, but they are so wild and crazy... and... well... it's fun! So, if you like to see the "acceptable" turned on it's head (sometimes literally) check it out.

The building in this collection that I would love to live in the most? Heh... well this one, of course!



And, if wacky architecture is too tame...

How about some crazy science!
The Indian military have come up with a new crowd control grenade packed with ground seeds from the Bhut Jolokia chilli. Mmmmm, tasty crowd control.
And, to wrap up this 180 degree whirl wind post...
Did you know that Darpa (the Pentagon's Mad Scientist Branch) is investing $6 million to create synthetic organisms that can live forever? Yes, it's true! Isn't that... um... great? Heh.

Ok... Perhaps you should go back to the top of this post, and reread the part about Nirvana.

No comments: