Sunday, October 14, 2007

I faught my muse and my muse won....

For the longest time, my Muse has been telling me to make a face cane. And for the longest time I've been heroically resisting her.

You have to understand, my philosophy, when it comes to making jewelry, is simple... only make things that I might actually wear. And I have no desire to wear anything with a human face on it. Now a cat's face? Definitely. Lizards or birds - no problem (especially if it's a raven). I might even consider a dog's face... maybe. But a human face.... no way.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some lovely things folks have made that feature face canes. Really beautiful things. But, for some reason, I feel really uncomfortable at the thought of wearing something like that. I know of others that feel this way too, but I haven't a clue why we do.

So, why should I make a face cane, right? Well, this morning when I woke up, I had an uncontrollable desire to make a face cane. I think maybe my muse had put subliminal thoughts into my dreams or something. "You must make a face cane, you MUST make a face cane." *shivers* So, after a cup of coffee I headed to my studio and made this... Sorry for the lousy photo, btw.
Muse wasn't impressed. Oh, what a task master she is!! Hey, it's a face cane, what more do you want?!

Something more, apparently. So, I gave in and let her take charge, and this is what she came up with.


It took me all morning to make it, and then... after a nap, she made me make another one (photo coming soon)!! Oh, the things I do to please my muse. *sigh*

3 comments:

Susan Turney said...

Hey, Melanie!
I can't wait to see how you use it! I wish someone (something) would whisper in my ear....I'm having a great big blank right now. I'm looking forward to a day with no other plans so maybe I can just spend time with the clay and hopefully something will pop in. Or maybe I need to clean my work area first! I have to carefully step through the piles. The cats must have been playing with all my stuff...I would never have made such a mess!

Raven's Clay said...

Lol! And you say I'm funny! ;P

Susan, I totally know the place your in... both the silent muse and the... ah... messy cats. ;) When that happens, what has helped me is to just pick up some clay and smoosh it around. Or just sit and blend some colors.

When my mind is blank, I try to take advantage of the situation and just make skinner blends (of colors I use a lot and am familiar with) or simple canes (my fall back, as it were)... And the result is either I get inspired, or I end up with a bunch of "stuff" I can use later. But the most important part is that I keep touching clay. :)

Just a thought.

Unknown said...

Melanie,
I just love your face cane and necklace from it. Great work!
Marilyn Davenport

http://marilyn-bitsofclay.blogspot.com/