Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Nice Ring (or three, er... four)

Last year a number of polymer artists took a year long Ring-A-Day challenge, and the results totally gobsmacked me... And, it got my old Muse hootin' and hollerin' to get going on my own designs. My Muse can be a major task master *coughpainintheasrsecough*, so I complied and actually kind of like some of the results.

The core is sterling silver. I built and carved a polymer armature over the core, then laminated it with cane work. It really is a pain to do (I don't like small work... my fingers are too old and achy), but I really like the end results... so far.





I even made a few wavy rings to go with the wavy bangles... But don't expect too many of those, because they are even more of a pain. Fun... but a pain (literally).  

 
For those who enjoy my bangles, don't worry, they are still on my docket... I'm just letting my Muse have her way so she'll settle down a bit...


From The Science Desk -
Isn't this Red Tailed Catfish a beauty? Oh, to be a master of color and pattern on the level of Nature herself. *sigh* 
A Plug For a Friend and Colleague -
If you haven't signed up for the Studio Mojo newsletter, I highly recommend you do. Cynthia Tinapple, it's creator, takes her daily blog "Polymer Clay Daily" and pumps it up with lots and lots of major Mojo. Video interviews, artist resources, inspiration and innovation fill her weekly posts. Well worth the investment.

Next week I head off to Colorado to meet up with friends and see if I can stretch my creative muscles a bit... let's hope the altitude doesn't clash with the Fibro, but whatever happens, I'm sure it will be well worth it.

7 comments:

Doreen said...

Aaaach! I hear ya with the achy fingers! Love those rings. They remind me of slug cross sections.

Marlene Brady said...

Wow. Stunning. I love the ring the best.

Bettina Welker said...

oooh, these are gorgeous Mel.
I hear you with the aching fingers. I did some sweet little earings yesterday and after all the cutting and sanding I can barely type today.. Sanding small pieces is just a pain. So I guess I won't stick to these tiny thingies either...I also love my big bracelets...*G*

Nice to hear from you again.
big hug!
Bettina

Raven's Clay said...

Many thanks, Gals! Doreen, I love the "slug cross section" image! Brilliant! lol!

Bettina, you are too young to have pain in your fingers! :(

gRiS bLEu said...

what an incredible bangle !!!
i'm definitely jealous !

Eva said...

If you have a English language website/blog about jewellery/accesories you can make free self-advertising here pintalabios.info/en/jewellery_accessories

thanks :)

JJ said...

I get you with the fibro...take a nap if you have to. Have a blast! Joann