Saturday, July 28, 2007

Alpendohle, Glaciers and Maniacs

When in Maine I always seemed to be surrounded by crows or ravens. But the first day in Switzerland I didn't see any. Over the next several days I began to see more and more. Perhaps word was out that a raven lady was residing in Bern.

Then Nadja, Lucas and I visited Grindelwald and took a "little mountain car" up into the mountains... 7100 feet above sea level into the mountains. Oooo la la! Sitting in the meadow flowers, breathing in the thin fragrant air and looking at those monstrous mountains was very humbling. But I digress. Just before we left the mountains a flock of alpendohle showed up to raise a little hell. At first I thought they were just some smallish crows. They certainly behaved like a murder of opportunist crows. But their beaks were yellow and their feet were red! Well, it turns out that they are not of the genus Corvus, but they are in the family of Corvidae, the same as the crow and raven. Interesting, huh? Well, it is to me, and I'm the one writing the blog...


Did I mention that Switzerland has a lot of mountains? And a few glaciers too.











Oh, and a few maniacs...












So, tomorrow morning, Nadja and I will be heading down by train to Stresa, Italy... and all those pretty Swiss Francs will have to be converted into Euros. Until then... Caio!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah the adventure of a lifetime. In the meantime tom slaves away at installing kitchen cabinets and building cherry countertops. Plumbing is 98 percent done, now I get to work on the countertop building on monday. It is now my bedtime, hope you see this before you get back to maine. XOXOX, oh!