Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This One I'm Keeping

I've been working like a crazy woman to create (and photograph) pieces for a publication submission... and finally (!!) it's in the mail and I can breath... at least until tomorrow when another deadline looms. But while I'm sighing in relief, I wanted to share a couple of the new pieces.

Above is my most favoritest piece in my new BioBrooch series. She's called "Green Worm". Catchy name, eh? (I'm guessing that the target market for folks who would wear this brooch is pretty small, so I'm not loosing a sale by keeping this one myself.)

Below is a new addition to the BioBangle series. It's called "Blind Man's Trunk".

For those of you who don't recognize it, the name comes from a story about a group of blind men who each touch a different part of an elephant... and... well... each gets a different impression of what an elephant is like. It's a story that seems to have as many versions as there are religions and cultures. I like the Hindu version the best. Here's a quote I stole from Wikipedia:

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa used this parable to discourage dogmatism

"A number of blind men came to an elephant. Somebody told them that it was an elephant. The blind men asked, ‘What is the elephant like?’ and they began to touch its body. One of them said: 'It is like a pillar.' This blind man had only touched its leg. Another man said, ‘The elephant is like a husking basket.’ This person had only touched its ears. Similarly, he who touched its trunk or its belly talked of it differently. In the same way, he who has seen the Lord in a particular way limits the Lord to that alone and thinks that He is nothing else."

There are also many images of this story, my favorite being this very humorous 1888 Japanese print. (Hmmm... for some reason Blogger isn't allowing me to add anymore pictures... or spell check... So my apologies for the lack of more pics and any spelling mistakes I missed!)

From the Weird (and Scary) Science Division...
I don't usually wander into the political... but this story about a new technology that can apparently be used for both a weapon and weather modification (!?!) is - I feel - very important, and I encourage you to check it out. As an addition to the weather modification story, I suggest (if you have the stomach for it) you do a Youtube search for "Chemtrails" (no, I don't mean contrails - the condensation that results from the exhaust of jets). If you're willing to explore this topic, try to look past the wild speculations and... well... down right craziness... and focus on just the facts.

Well... that was depressing.

Ok, I'm sorry about that. How about this very funny story about a fox in Foehren, Germany, who has been stealing peoples shoes.

Edited to add:
Just came across this hysterical article in the UK's Sun about "killer chipmunks". I have a couple of felines who would love to sink their teeth into one of these guys.

Feel better now? I certainly do.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Melanie
Your work is gorgeous. I keep seeing it everywhere at the moment. The latest was on trunkt. Just beautiful peices. And I'd definitely wear a green worm!