Friday, July 6, 2007

Oooooo! Surface treatment!

Donna Kato's newest book is on the shelves now, and I finally got a copy. Yum! She's got a great collection of surface effects, and lots of fantastic photos. Even if you think you know everything you could possibly know about surface techniques on polymer clay, it's still worth the money (imnsvho!). The photos are very inspirational, and the text that goes with them (in the tutorial sections) are clear and actually tie into what you see in the photos.

Yeah, I know, I know. It doesn't take much to inspire my muse. But this book... in the immortal words of Winnie the Pooh's Owl... makes my beak water!

One note I have to add, however, is that the paper Donna described as working well with one type of image transfer - Epson's Photo Glossy - has been changed by Epson (although they swear they only changed the box - not!). I wrote Donna to alert her to this, and boy, was she pissed. I was too! Bad, bad Epson!! I think it's time we tell Epson that there are folks other than photographers using their paper - and for other things than making pretty prints. *Melanie sends her big toothy dog after Epson*

On the lighter side, Donna (who seems to work constantly and never sleeps) posted this aggravating news on her blog, and heard back from a couple of folks that there are some alternative papers. Here's what she wrote in an email to me:

"Now, online two papers were recommended to me that I like...JetPrint Imaging and Photo Matte Paper, Medium weight and HP Brochure and Flyer Paper. The JetPrint is more durable, can’t scratch the ink off at all. The Canon finish is more delicate but the image reproduction is so much better. You’d just have to coat the transfer with liquid clay to protect it. Phew, at least we have options. I put up a page about it under Tutorials on my site."

You can find Donna's tutorial here. I think when she wrote "the Canon finish" she meant the HP finish, but I'm not sure. In any event, I've ordered my JetPrint paper and we shall see how it works.

5 comments:

Wallcakes said...

Hi there, I'm still impatiently waiting for my copy from amazon. Why are they making me wait so long. It sounds like a fantastic book...can't wait.
Gina

Raven's Clay said...

Hi Gina! It's well worth the wait. :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Stonehouse Studio said...

Melanie,
I've been trying my hand at transfers and can report that the heavy gloss paper used at Staples copy centers does NOT work.

Have you tried the type Kathleen suggested in her class? Hammermill Color Laser Gloss? I hesitate to buy a whole ream if it won't work!

Let us know how you make out on the paper Donna recommended!

Betsy

Raven's Clay said...

Hi Bets! No, I haven't used Kathleen's suggestion... mostly because I wanted to use my ink jet printers. The nearest copy shop with a lazer printer is 25 miles away. x.X


A ways back I tried one of their lazer copy machines with my own paper, and I guess they had the wrong type of toner, because it didn't work. :(

I've ordered the JetPrint paper - should be here later this week. I'll keep you posted.

Nomadding Nina said...

Greeat post thanks